Sockeye Salmon with Cilantro Pepper Mojo
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2 lb skinless salmon fillets
- Olive oil to coat the fish
- 1 cup chopped cilantro or parsley leaves
- 1 finely chopped medium green pepper, ancho or poblano if possible
- 3 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. cumin
- 2 T. sherry or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- To make the mojo (sauce), combine the garlic, salt, cumin, chopped herbs and green pepper in a food processor and buzz well to combine. Scrape down the sides and add the vinegar, then buzz it again for about 30 seconds.
- Scrape the sides down one more time, then turn the processor on its lowest setting. Add the 1/2 cup olive oil in a slow stream, and when it is all in the processor, turn the machine up to high and buzz for 2 minutes. You’re done.
- Turn on the broiler/BBQ
- Wash and pat the salmon fillets dry. Coat them in olive oil and sprinkle them with salt. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- If broiling in the oven: Place the salmon down on a well greased broiler pan and cook for about 10-12 minutes.
If BBQ: Put the meat side down first on a well greased grill for 2 minutes, flip over to the skin side for another 3-5 minutes)
- To serve, pour some sauce on the plate and top with the salmon. You can pour more sauce over the salmon if you’d like. Simple chopped beefsteak tomatoes are an excellent summer accompaniment, as are small roasted potatoes. Both go well with the cilantro sauce.