- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 -1.5 lb skinless boneless salmon fillet
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion (about 1 small onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 cups finely chopped tomato
- Cooking spray
- 3 cups cooked basmati rice
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring to form a paste. Remove 1/2 teaspoon spice mixture, and reserve remaining mixture. Rub both sides of salmon with 1/2 teaspoon spice mixture; cover and chill.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes or until tender and just beginning to brown. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute or until garlic begins to brown. Stir in reserved spice mixture and tomato. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Place fish on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450º for 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from oven; cool slightly. Break fish into chunks.
- Place 3/4 cup cooked basmati rice on each of 4 large plates. Top each serving with about 3/4 cup tomato mixture and 3 ounces salmon. Sprinkle with cilantro, if desired. Serve and enjoy.