- 24 Oysters live in shell
- 1 1/3 cups firmly packed baby spinach (1 1/3 oz), finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped scallion greens
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced celery
- 3 tablespoons coarse fresh bread crumbs (preferably from a day-old baguette)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon Pernod or other anise-flavored liquor
- Pinch of cayenne
- 3 bacon slices
- Toss together spinach, scallion greens, parsley, celery, and 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon bread crumbs in a bowl. Melt butter in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, then add spinach mixture and cook, stirring, until spinach is wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in Pernod, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste, then transfer mixture to a bowl and chill, covered, until cold, about 1 hour.
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F.
- While spinach mixture chills, cook bacon in cleaned skillet over moderate heat, turning, until crisp, then drain on paper towels and finely crumble.
- Spread 5 cups Rock Salt in a large shallow baking pan (1 inch deep) and nestle oysters (in shells) in it. Spoon spinach mixture evenly over oysters, then top with bacon and sprinkle with remaining tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons bread crumbs. Bake oysters until edges of oysters begin to curl and bread crumbs are golden, about 10 minutes.
- Serve warm oysters in shells, nestled in Rock Salt (about 5 cups), on a platter.